Atlanta Public Schools (APS) is accepting applications for General Administrative Transfers and Georgia Special Needs Scholarship transfers through Friday, Mar. 27.
Georgia’s Public School Choice law allows residents of the city of Atlanta to attend a public school outside of their zoned APS school, if space is available. Students who live outside the district (non-residents) and want to attend an Atlanta Public School may do so, if space is available. Non-resident students are required to pay tuition. The current tuition rates for non-resident students are:
- General Education: $11,531
- Special Education: $15,010 plus costs for additional services based on individual needs
- Evening High School: $904 per class (non-resident), $181 per class (resident over age 21), free (Resident aged 16-21)
The Atlanta Board of Education will determine tuition for the 2015-2016 school year.
APS offers two types of transfers:
- General Administrative Transfers – permits a student to attend an out-of-zone school through the highest grade offered at the school. Students are accepted based upon available space at the requested school.
- Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Transfers – permits eligible special education students to request a transfer to another APS school on the basis of special needs. Approval is subject to space availability at the requested school. In order to qualify for the GSNS transfer, the student should meet the following requirements:
- The student’s parent(s) currently resides within Georgia and has been a Georgia resident for at least one calendar year; and
- The student has attended school during the 2014-2015 school year in a K-12 Georgia public school and that attendance is reflected in both the October 2014 and March 2015 full-time enrollment counts at the school.
General administrative transfers and Georgia Special Needs Scholarship transfers applications will be accepted online through Mar. 27 at http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/transfers and in person at the APS Department of Student Relations, 130 Trinity Avenue, 2nd Floor, Atlanta, GA 30303, from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Parents may apply any time during the application window. Applications submitted on the last day receive the same consideration as applications submitted on the first day.
Transportation for students under the public school choice option is the responsibility of the parent. A list of schools accepting transfers is available now on the APS website http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/transfers